WATCH OUR VIDEO:
Here at Acct’s Tutoring Services, we are making a push towards online-based tutoring sessions; utilizing common platforms such as Skype and Google Docs. So far, we have been successful in achieving this goal as 70% of our clientele basis is now tutored via these online platforms. Moreover, we have been able to expand our operations globally; educating students all over Canada (British Columbia), California, Iran and England; to name a few.
The benefits of online-based tutoring include:
- There are a variety of teaching aids available via online based tutoring so we can tailor our teaching methods to the different learning styles of students These include: instant-messenger, text chat, Skype, shared files, shared whiteboards and graphing tools.
- The sessions are conducted in the comfort of the student’s own home, providing a more comfortable learning experience. Also, online sessions offer shy students to fully participate.
- Flexible scheduling; Learning can happen at any time
- Parents/Students save a considerable amount of commuting time. Since educators don’t have to commute, they can be more flexible with the timings and needs of learners.
- Today’s world is trending more to a technology basis work environment; where such platforms like Skype and Google Docs are utilized in the everyday world.
- The skills learned during online tutoring sessions translate to many professions, including creating and sharing documents, incorporating audio/video materials into your assignments, completing online training, etc.
Online based tutoring is a natural result of technological advancements and education needs.
Step-by-Step Instructions – Skype
Step 1: Download the software
Depending on which device you plan to use, you will have to download a specific version of Skype.
Step 2: Create your username/Set up your contact list
Come up with a professional username and a password that you can easily remember. This name can be shared with family, friends, employers, colleagues, etc. Furthermore, ask for your loved ones for their usernames. You can simply add them by clicking the contacts tab on the left-hand side, and then “Add Contact” button in the top right-hand corner.
Step 3: Select your call type
Now you are ready to make your first Skype Call! Select an individual in your contact list and click on his/her picture. You’ll see a series of buttons and you can decide which kind of call you’d like to make:
- Video calls: Clicking on the video button will allow you co communicate face-to-face. Make sure your webcam is on and working!
- Phone Calls: Clicking on the phone button will allow you to make a call without the face-to-face interaction. Make sure your speakers and mic work!
Step 4: Other functions
One function that is used via online base tutoring is the share screen function. The share screen function can be accessed by clicking on the 3 dots displayed on the call, and clicking “Share Screen”. With this function, the individual can see your screen.
Step 5: Talk for as long as you want:
If you have a strong connection, you’ll have a full screen of the individuals’ picture and a small square of your own in the bottom right corner. Now you can talk for extended periods of time! Skype allows connecting with individuals a simple task; regardless of the distance.
Step 6: End the call
Once you’re finished with the call, simply press the red handset icon to end the call and close the program.
Step-by-Step Instructions – Google Docs
Step 1: Go to Google: http://www.google.com
Step 2: Click Sign in (upper right corner). Enter your email and password and click sign in.
Step 3: On the navigation bar at the top, click on more to find the dropdown of options.
Step 4: Scroll down to and click “Documents” which will open the front page to Google Documents.
Step 5: Menu Bar
At the top of the page, you will see the menu bar that allows you to open a new document, upload a document, share a document, etc. You have access to a document, presentation, spreadsheet, form or folder.
Step 6: Click new document.
The new document opens and you will see a menu bar and formatting bar very similar to other word processors that you have worked with. Check out each of the menus to see what is located there.
Step 7: Complete your document.
As you complete your document, those who have access to the document can see you completing your document in real life!
Step 8: Share Document
Share you document with members of your team. Click on the Share button on the right of the screen. Enter the email addresses of the members in your team. You can include a message to go along with your email.